House insurance quote

Why do you need Home Insurance?
Home insurance protects your house and everything inside it including the fixtures, fittings and all of your belongings. It will cover theft and damage to your property caused by fire and bad weather, and will protect your possessions against theft, damage and loss.

Chances are your house will be the most expensive purchase you ever make. Not only that, it’s filled with your most cherished possessions. And because no two homes are the same, we offer different types of home protection to make sure homeowners, renters and landlords all get the right cover. There are three main types of home cover — buildings, contents and combined.

What type of cover do I need?
If you’re a homeowner and live in the property, you may want to purchase a combined policy which includes both buildings and contents cover as you’re responsible for anything that happens to your home and its contents.

Renters only need to look at contents cover as your landlord is responsible for the structural maintenance. However, you should always check the terms of your rental agreement to be sure.

If you’re already a homeowner, or you’re a first-time buyer, you will be aware that buildings cover is a condition of a mortgage offer.

What is buildings insurance?
This cover protects the bricks and mortar of your home, if your walls, roof, ceiling, fitted kitchen and any other structural items were damaged, you would claim on this policy. Fire, water and malicious damage are all covered by Admiral Buildings Insurance.

It’s important you calculate the rebuild cost rather than the estimated value of your home. Be sure to give an accurate valuation as over-estimating could leave you paying higher premiums, while under-estimating could result in you receiving a lower payout if you were to claim. Read our calculating rebuild costs guide to help with the sums.

The difference between buildings and contents cover
While buildings cover protects the structure of your home and most things fixed down, ‘contents’ covers your possessions — basically, the things you’d take with you if you move. A Contents insurance policy isn’t compulsory, but could you replace everything in your home if it was stolen or damaged?

Contents cover protects items in your home such as your furniture, clothes and electrical items if they are damaged, lost or stolen, up to £150,000 depending on the level of cover you choose. Just like with a buildings policy, you’ll need to estimate the value of the items you want covered in your home. To help you work out what your contents are worth, use our contents calculator for guidance.

You will need to tell us about any high risk items you or your family own which are worth more than £1,000. Think of things like computers, laptops, audio visual equipment and jewellery. Read more about contents insurance.

What information do I need to get a home insurance quote?
It’s easy to get a home and contents insurance quote with Admiral – and it takes less than 6 minutes to get a price.

Once you’ve decided which type of cover is right for you, click on the get a quote button and have the following details ready:

1. Property details
You’ll need information about the property you want to insure including:

Number of rooms
Year property was built
How it’s heated
Security systems and locks
2. Who lives there?
You’ll need information about the property you want to insure including:

The people living in the property
Occupants’ job titles and marital status
Who owns the property
How often it’s left empty
3. Exterior details
Moving to outside of the property, we want to know about:

Roof type
Signs of subsidence
Trees taller than 10m close to your property
Previous flooding
4. Rebuild costs and cover needs
In this final section we ask for:

Rebuild costs (we will help you estimate this in your quote journey)
Value of your contents – we have a handy calculator to help you with this
Any bikes and valuables (worth more than £1,000) you want to cover
If you’re looking for cheap home insurance get a quote with Admiral — you could pay as little as £89 if you insure your home (10% of Admiral level combined customers from July to December 2017 paid less than £89)
What is home insurance?
Home insurance provides financial protection against damage to your home and possessions by a fire or another unforeseen event.

You have three main types of home insurance to choose from – buildings insurance, contents insurance, and combined buildings and contents insurance.

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your home as well as permanent fixtures and fittings.
Contents insurance covers possessions inside your home.

Do I need home insurance?
Unlike car insurance, you’re not legally required to have home insurance. However, if you have a mortgage on your home then the mortgage provider will likely require you to have buildings insurance at the least.

What type of home insurance do I need?
The type of home insurance depends on whether you own or rent your home.

Landlords and homeowners usually need both buildings and contents insurance.
Tenants usually need only tenants’ contents insurance, but if in doubt check the terms of your individual rental agreement.
You can tailor our home insurance to suit your needs. It can include protection against accidental loss or damage to your household items, personal possessions and high value items. There are further optional extras such as Home Emergency Cover and Home Legal Expenses.

Policy documents
Good to know
* Survey of new business sales from, March to May 2018. Prices based on standard joint cover only.

1 Roadside Breakdown Cover is available to new customers from £20 for 12 months. Cover is personal, which means you’re covered in any vehicle. The breakdown cover will be renewed automatically, unless you ask us not to. See the full Roadside Breakdown Cover offer terms and conditions.

Star Rating from Defaqto. Defaqto is an independent, financial research company that specialises in rating, comparing and analysing financial products.

The underwriter of your home insurance policy will be chosen from our panel of insurers.