Geico reviews and ratings
- Complaints against Geico are lower than the industry median.
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or higher
- Website and mobile app have a wide array of features tech-savvy customers may appreciate
Geico is the nation’s second-largest auto insurance company, known primarily for low rates offered directly to consumers online and over the phone. If you’re looking for an affordable car insurance policy and you’re comfortable managing your own accounts online when an agent isn’t nearby, Geico might be right for you.
Geico auto insurance
In addition to typical car insurance coverage choices, Geico offers:
Mechanical breakdown coverage: This covers repairs to all mechanical parts of a new car, up to 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles, except problems caused by wear and tear. There’s a $250 deductible. Mechanical breakdown coverage is renewable for up to seven years or 100,000 miles and does not pay for regular maintenance such as tune-ups.
Emergency roadside assistance: For as little as $14 a year per car, you can add emergency roadside assistance coverage, which can help if you have a dead battery, lock yourself out of your car, or need gas or a tow.
Auto Repair Xpress is meant to make life easier while your car is in the shop as the result of a claim. A claims adjuster will meet you at the repair shop, explain the repair process and answer any questions. If you have rental reimbursement in your policy, Geico will pay for a rental car you pick up at the repair shop and drop off there when your car is ready, although it’s not available in all areas.
Ridesharing insurance: If you drive for a company such as Uber or Lyft, this option allows you to have one policy that covers both personal and ridesharing use. You can replace your existing auto policy with this hybrid insurance on the ridesharing vehicle only, but this option is not available in every state.
Other insurance from Geico
- Motorcycle insurance
- ATV insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Geico offers other insurance products, such as home insurance, through partner companies. When you buy a policy from one of these third parties through Geico, the company offers discounts on its car insurance — but you’ll still have to deal with multiple insurers.
More about Geico
Website: You can learn about and get a quote for almost any type of insurance through Geico’s website, and submit a claim or make a payment. The site also has a feature to help you find the nearest cheap gas station.
Mobile app: Geico’s mobile offering is full-service: It helps you keep track of your policy and billing details, access your digital auto insurance ID card, pay bills and submit claims. You can also use the app to chat by text with an agent or request roadside assistance.
Virtual assistant: Geico’s virtual assistant Kate is a newer feature of its existing app for iOS and Android users that can answer your insurance questions and provide specific policy information. Your Geico account is also now accessible as a skill for Amazon’s Alexa.
GEICO is a good insurance company that offers its customers satisfactory rates, positive customer service and a convenient user experience. In particular, GEICO’s auto insurance rates for drivers with no recent accidents were consistently low. In many ways, the company’s offerings are comparable to those of other large insurers. However, GEICO sets itself apart by providing the most convenient online solutions for its customers to handle their insurance policies.
- GEICO Insurance: Our Thoughts
- GEICO Auto Insurance
- GEICO Home Insurance
- GEICO Motorcycle Insurance
- GEICO Customer Reviews, Complaints and Ratings
- GEICO Online Tools
GEICO: A Respectable Insurer Built for The Digital Era
GEICO provides average to low rates and fairly good customer service. For the most part, it is comparable to other insurers in terms of insurance offerings and discounts. However, GEICO distinguishes itself as one of the best insurance companies out there when it comes to providing easy-to-use online tools.
The GEICO Mobile app has more features and is better reviewed than the apps currently offered by Progressive, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. This app affords policyholders convenient options for paying their bills as well as managing and accessing their insurance information. While other insurance companies may provide similar mobile tools, GEICO leads the industry in this category and is constantly improving its capabilities.
If it is a priority that you have lots of contact with a local agent to help you manage your insurance policies, GEICO will not be your best option. GEICO is set up to sell products directly to consumers as opposed to going through local insurance agents, as it has relatively few agents compared to other insurers. For example, GEICO has around 150 locations across the U.S., compared to State Farm’s network of more than 18,000 agents nationwide.
Auto Insurance Take-away: For auto insurance, GEICO’s low rates, paired with the fact that its coverages and discounts are more or less consistent with its competitors’ offerings, make it a safe choice. However, in some situations, GEICO’s rates might be more expensive than its competitors. This is particularly true when it comes to drivers shopping for auto insurance who have an at-fault accident on their driving record. While GEICO is a good choice, we recommend you compare quotes from at least three insurers.
Homeowners Insurance Take-away: GEICO doesn’t underwrite or service its own homeowners insurance policies, but GEICO’s underwriting partners generally offer low rates and adequate service. Just keep in mind that discounts and endorsements vary by underwriter, so you’ll need to confirm beforehand that your policy offers any features that are important to you. Overall, it’s possible to receive great service and rates, but you’ll have to do your research on the specific underwriter of your policy.
GEICO Auto Insurance
GEICO auto insurance has competitive rates, good customer service, and enough coverage options and discounts to please most drivers. It offers a lot in terms of convenience, with 24-hour customer service available and an app where you can control almost all aspects of your coverage on the go. However, if you are a high-risk driver—specifically a young driver with an accident on your record—you might overpay for car insurance with GEICO. Also, GEICO will provide coverage if you need an SR-22 or FR-44 filed on your behalf.
GEICO Auto Insurance Features, Coverages and Discounts
For the most part, GEICO’s solutions for auto insurance customers are similar to what you can get with the other major car insurers like Progressive, State Farm and Farmers. The exceptions to this are the GEICO Mobile app and the Prime Time Contract, which is an interesting program for drivers over the age of 50.
GEICO Mobile app: Drivers can use the GEICO Mobile app for all aspects of managing their auto insurance, from getting a quote to filing a claim. Drivers insured with GEICO can even use Amazon’s Alexa to pay their insurance bills. If you are looking for an auto insurer that’s not going to make you go through an agent or wait on the phone to manage your auto insurance policy, then GEICO is a great option. While this is not the only app where you can manage your auto insurance, it is one of the absolute best.
Prime Time Contract: This is a guaranteed auto insurance renewal program designed for GEICO customers who are over 50 years old. Customers in the Prime Time Contract program will always have the option to renew their insurance policy as long as they continue to be GEICO auto insurance policyholders. Drivers in this program are protected from situations where an insurer might not offer to renew a policy—like drivers who are considered high-risk due to multiple traffic violations. Just note that the Prime Time Contract does not guarantee that your rates will always be the same. Besides being over the age of 50 to qualify for this program, you must:
- Have no drivers under 25 years old on the policy.
- Have no violations or accidents in the last three years.
- Have no vehicles on the policy that are used for business.
Some insurers might offer a guaranteed renewable policy to customers who have been with them for a certain amount of time—for example, more than 20 years with Progressive. GEICO offers this policy to new customers, which is quite unique.
Auto Repair Xpress®: This is a program that includes a network of repair shops that work with GEICO. By choosing to fix your vehicle at an Auto Repair Xpress® facility, you get a GEICO-backed guarantee for all repairs as long as you own your vehicle. This is a nice feature to have, but it’s not unique to GEICO, as Farmers and Progressive also have repair guarantees.
Car Buying Service: To help you get a better deal on a new car, GEICO offers its Car Buying Service, which connects you to local dealerships and lets you see what other people have paid for a certain vehicle. You can use this service to compare car prices without having a GEICO insurance policy.
GEICO Auto Insurance Coverages
Most of the coverage options that GEICO offers are pretty much in line with what is available with other auto insurance companies, although they may vary by state or by vehicle. Here’s what GEICO offers:
- Bodily injury and property liability coverage.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Uninsured and underinsured liability coverage.
- Medical payment and personal injury protection coverage.
- Gap Insurance for leased vehicles.
Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI): This coverage pays for certain repairs to vehicles that are less than 15 months old and have fewer than 15,000 miles. Specifically, it covers repairs to mechanical components, such as the engine, transmission or air conditioner. This option does not cover fees for diagnostic measures if your vehicle is not found to have a mechanical failure.
Progressive offers similar coverage through Warrant Direct, which charges one deductible that varies by policy per qualifying repair shop visit. This differs from GEICO’s MBI coverage, where you have to pay a separate $250 deductible for each unrelated repair. This means if your transmission and air conditioner both need to be repaired, you will be responsible for two deductibles. You are also able to cover older vehicles with Progressive’s program.
Rideshare Insurance: Other insurers might offer rideshare coverage as an extension of your personal policy or only offer a full commercial insurance policy, but GEICO’s hybrid policy is fairly special. GEICO offers a combined rideshare and personal auto insurance that allows its customers to purchase just one policy. Having this insurance covers you when you are driving both for work and for pleasure.
Emergency Road Service: GEICO’s Emergency Road Service provides assistance in the event that you have a roadside emergency, and it’s similar to other roadside assistance programs in terms of coverage and limits. For example, it will cover jump-starts, flat-tire changes, towing (for nonaccident-related incidents) and up to $100 for locksmith services. Compared to AAA Plus roadside assistance, GEICO’s Emergency Road Service offers almost the same coverage at lower rates—not counting the discounts and rewards that AAA members can receive.
Accident Forgiveness: With Accident Forgiveness, your auto insurance rates will not increase after your first at-fault accident. This coverage can either be purchased or earned, which sets it apart from similar programs at other insurers. Certain drivers—those with good driving records—will be eligible to purchase accident forgiveness. To earn accident forgiveness, you must be a qualifying driver and must be accident-free for five years or more. This coverage is not available in California, Connecticut or Massachusetts.
Glass Coverage: You may be able to add coverage that will waive your deductible for comprehensive claims for glass repairs. This costs a little bit extra, but it might be worthwhile if you can take advantage of what is essentially free windshield repair.
Rental Reimbursement: With GEICO’s Rental Reimbursement, you will be covered for the cost of a rental car if your car is undrivable for more than 24 hours. The amount that this coverage will pay out is based on a per-day and per-claim limit, which is selected when choosing this coverage option. For example, you might select coverage for $45 per day and $1,350 per claim.
GEICO Auto Insurance Discounts
The discounts that GEICO offers are pretty standard across the auto insurance industry, with the majority tied to vehicle equipment and safe driving habits. GEICO will also award discounts to policyholders who are members of certain organizations and for bundling multiple vehicles under the same policy.
Federal Employee Discount: Active or retired federal employees can qualify for a discount of up to 8% on their car insurance. This is also known as the eagle discount.
Military Discounts: Active-duty U.S. military personnel, retired U.S. military members, or members of the National Guard or Reserves could save up to 15% on premiums.
Driving History Discounts: If you’ve been accident-free for five years, you may be able to save 26% on your car insurance with GEICO. As previously mentioned, having a clean driving record could make you eligible to receive free accident forgiveness, which would save you money after an at-fault accident. You can also receive up to 15% off your medical payment or personal injury protection premiums if you and your passengers always wear their seat belts.
Defensive Drivers Discounts: For completing an approved defensive driving course you can save on your car insurance with GEICO. The amount you could save varied by state, for the states that offered a discount for taking a defensive driving course, you could save 5%‒20% on applicable coverages. The five state that, at this time, do not offer discounts for defensive driving courses are Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina and Vermont.
Student Discounts: Full-time students who maintain at least a «B» average may save up to 15% on their total car insurance premiums in some states. Drivers must be between the ages of 16 and 24 to qualify for this discount. Young drivers also might be able to receive a discount on their coverage for completing a driver’s education course.
Pay-in-full Discount: By paying your entire premium for the full term of your policy, you can save money by avoiding installment expenses that GEICO charges for paying month to month.
Membership and Employee Discounts: You might be able to receive a discount for being a member or employee of a certain organization. There are more than 500 schools and universities, professional organizations, and other institutions included in this group.
Multicar Discount: Insuring more than one vehicle with GEICO could save you up to 25% on your premiums.
Multipolicy Discount: By having a homeowners, renters, condo or mobile home policy with GEICO, you could receive a discount on your car insurance.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is the second largest private passenger auto insurer in the United States and has been saving people money for more than 75 years.
In addition to auto insurance, you could obtain a homeowners, renters or condo policy through the GEICO Insurance Agency. Love the open road? GEICO can help you get coverage for your motorcycle, RV or ATV as well as personal umbrella protection and life insurance. GEICO provides 24-hour access for sales, policy service and claims service.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of companies, GEICO is rated A++ for financial stability by A.M. Best Company and ranks at the top of several national customer satisfaction surveys.
Alumni, faculty, and staff may be eligible to receive a special discount on GEICO auto insurance.
GEICO consistently offers affordable auto insurance rates, but customer satisfaction ratings indicate there may be a tradeoff for the quality of service you receive.
GEICO offers a full range of auto insurance coverages and its rates are generally among the lowest in the industry, in part due to its numerous discounts. If price is your primary consideration in choosing an auto insurance provider, GEICO is definitely one to keep on your radar.
However, customer satisfaction surveys have revealed GEICO’s customer service to be decidedly average. We all hope we never have to file a claim, but when we do, we want to know our insurer is going to lessen the headache, not make it worse. If that’s more important to you than a low price, I’d suggest going with a different company, like State Farm or Allstate.
GEICO’s memorable slogan — “15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on car insurance” — has been attracting bargain hunters for over a decade. The company promises affordable rates and big discounts, in addition to solid coverage, fast claims service, and 24/7 customer support.
Is it True?
Maybe. Auto insurers consider many factors when calculating rates — your driving record, vehicle type, address, annual mileage, etc. — so it’s impossible to say one company is the most affordable for all drivers. I got quotes myself from several major insurers and found GEICO’s rates were affordable, but not the cheapest:
|Annual Premium Cost||$25K/$50K/$10K (state minimum coverage)||$250K/$500K/$100K|
You may get different results than I did. The only way to know which company offers you the best price is to set aside some time to compare quotes.
J.D. Power’s 2017 auto insurance customer satisfaction survey shows that lower price doesn’t always mean a lower quality of customer service. In every region, GEICO was rated average or above. It’s something to be aware of when comparing rates.
Our Deep Dive
- Offers all major coverages: GEICO offers bodily injury and property damage liability coverage ranging from your state minimums to $250,000/$500,000/$100,000. These coverages protect you if you’re found liable for damage to people or property in an accident. Some states also require uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, which pays for the damages if you’re hit by a driver who has too little or no insurance. Collision and comprehensive coverage are also available to help repair your vehicle following an accident. Though not required by law, many lenders will require these coverages if you have a loan on your vehicle.
- Coverage for Lyft and Uber drivers:GEICO offers coverage to Uber and Lyft drivers. Though this protection is becoming more common, some insurance companies still refuse to cover drivers who provide ride-sharing services, and have even canceled their existing policies. If you work for a ride-sharing service, GEICO is worth considering.
- Plenty of ways to save: GEICO has an impressive selection of discounts to help you save on your premiums. Insuring multiple vehicles or bundling your home and auto insurance could lower your premium by up to 25 percent. Being five years accident-free and wearing your seatbelt can also translate into savings. Teen drivers are eligible for good student and driver’s education discounts. And if you’re a member of the U.S. military or one of GEICO’s member organizations, you could save even more.
- Financially strong: Moody’s, S&P and A.M. Best have all given GEICO high financial strength ratings. This is an important indicator of how likely it is that the insurer will be able to pay out claims when the time comes. GEICO customers can rest easy knowing that the company will be there when they need them, whether that’s tomorrow or months down the road.
- Simple quote process: Getting an auto insurance quote from GEICO takes less than five minutes. Answer a few basic questions about yourself, your vehicle and your driving record and you will be presented with several policy options that you can customize to your liking. You should know most of the information required to complete the quote, but if you can’t recall the details of any recent accidents, you may want to look that information up ahead of time. Quotes are saved in GEICO’s system, so you can return to them at a later date without having to reenter all your information.
- Filing a claim is easy: You can file a claim online, over the phone or through one of GEICO’s mobile apps. According to GEICO’s claims center, the whole process takes about five minutes. Submit the details of your accident and a representative will look into it. If you’re eligible for a repair, you can schedule that right away. You can track the entire claims process from the mobile apps or your online account.
- Accident Forgiveness: Accident Forgiveness is available as an optional upgrade. If you choose to add it, you don’t have to worry about rate increases following your first at-fault accident.
- Manage your account from anywhere: GEICO has mobile apps available for Apple and Android devices. The apps give you access to digital ID cards, roadside assistance, and details about your policy. You can get a quote, file a claim, and pay your bill just as you could from your online account. The mobile apps are also hooked up to GEICO’s live chat, so you can speak to a representative at any time.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance: Mechanical breakdown insurance pays for any repairs your car needs that aren’t related to an accident. It’s only available for new or leased cars under 15 months old with less than 15,000 miles. You can renew it for up to seven years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. All repairs under mechanical breakdown insurance have a $250 deductible.
- Rental car reimbursement: This is an optional protection. If your car is in the shop for a repair, this coverage will pay for the cost of obtaining a rental vehicle.
- Roadside assistance: This is another optional coverage. If you run out of gas or lock yourself out of your car, GEICO will send someone to assist you at no extra cost
Auto insurance companies look at a variety of factors when calculating auto insurance rates. Your age, your driving history, your vehicle make and model, and where you live are a few of the biggest factors. Every company weighs these factors slightly differently, so the only way to find out what it’s going to cost you is to get a quote.
For me, going with GEICO would cost $240 a year for state minimum coverage. State Farm would charge me an extra $34 for the same coverage, but its reputation for providing better customer service could make the extra money worth it. That’s something you also have to weigh when comparing insurers.
Cheaper (or Free!) Alternatives
All 50 states require auto insurance, so there’s no way to skip it. If you’re caught driving without insurance, you can face some hefty fines, so it’s not worth the risk. Instead, take some time to compare quotes and see who offers you the best coverage for the lowest price.
You can also take simple steps to minimize your risk to insurers. Consider these:
- Drive less. Less time spent on the road means less potential for accidents.
- Notify your insurer about major life changes. Getting married or finishing college can have a significant impact on your auto insurance premiums.
- Improve your credit score. A higher credit score means a lower insurance premium with every auto insurer.
- Complete a defensive driving course. Several insurers, including GEICO, give discounts to drivers who have completed a defensive driving course within the last three years.
- Choose your next vehicle carefully. You want a vehicle with high safety ratings that won’t attract thieves.
- State Farm: In my quote comparison, State Farm offered reasonable rates for state minimum coverage, though that rate went up significantly when I raised my policy limits. State Farm offers all major types of auto insurance coverages, and it scored well in J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction survey. It also has a decent selection of discounts, including its Drive Safe & Save program, which gives a discount to those who agree to have their driving monitored by State Farm.
- Progressive: Progressive is another auto insurer worth considering if a low price is your top priority. It doesn’t offer as many discounts as some other insurers, but its rates are consistently among the lowest in the industry. It provides all major types of coverage, in addition to some protections you won’t find with most insurers, such as pet injury and custom parts coverage.
- Allstate: Allstate has one of the largest selections of auto insurance discounts in the industry, yet it still turned out to be my most expensive option. Again, this may not be the case for you, but you’ll have to get a quote to find out. Also, Allstate received even lower customer satisfaction scores than GEICO in J.D. Power’s survey, so unless it offers you a great deal on your rates, one of the other companies on this list is probably a better option.
You should always get multiple auto insurance quotes and compare rates and coverages before making a purchase. GEICO is a good choice if a low price is your top priority, but consumers that place a high value on customer service may want to choose a company with a better reputation, like State Farm.
GEICO’s rates are some of the lowest of those we examined. We set up a sample customer profile with a clean driving record and checked insurance premiums for our fictitious driver with five cars in five areas across the United States. Like our Silver and Bronze winners, GEICO’s prices were cheaper than those of other car insurance providers we reviewed. Of course, your specific premiums depend on your own situation and your driving record. Therefore, we suggest looking at three or more of our top car insurance agencies and comparing the rates yourself.
The online quote system is easy to use and gives you a couple of plans to consider, or you can edit the plan to meet your specific needs. The price quote is an estimate. Your driving record impacts whether the final rate is higher or lower than the quote.
GEICO offers 15 discounts, including whether you drive more than one car or more have more than one line of insurance with the company. It offers homeowners, rental, condo or mobile home insurance as well as insurance for boats and snowmobiles. These policies are provided through non-affiliated insurance companies but secured through GEICO.
GEICO also offers discounts for federal employees and military members, and if you are a deploying, you can get further deals. This auto insurance agency offers discounts to members of more than 500 different organizations. Having good grades or having taken driver’s education courses lowers your cost. Being accident-free for five years or more can cut your premiums, too. Finally, GEICO reduces your rates if your car has specific safety features like daytime running lights or an anti-theft system.
One discount common to insurance agencies that GEICO lacks is the driving habits discount. With this discount, you are given a device to plug into your car. It monitors your driving habits, including mileage and unsafe practices like speeding or hard braking. After a set period, the information is analyzed, and you are assigned a discount based on your driving. While some people may not want this kind of monitoring, others consider it a useful tool for seeing where they can improve their driving as well as save money. It’s especially useful for teen drivers, as it gives them feedback on how they are driving when Mom or Dad is not sitting next to them.
You can access your policy information online through the member portal. From there, you can make payments, change coverage or order proof of insurance. If you have other GEICO policies, you can access them from this site as well.
GEICO has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings of all the auto insurance agencies we reviewed. Every agency had a high rating, though, but GEICO scored the highest in our evaluation.
You can report a claim 24/7 using the interactive online form through the website or the mobile app. You can also report it via telephone. You can check your claim online to track its progress, but you’ll need the claim number. You can view damage pictures and reports, schedule your vehicle for repair, electronically sign forms and communicate with the claims team.
GEICO has approved assessment and repair facilities through its Auto Repair Xpress (ARX) program. If you are in an accident and have your car repaired by an ARX facility, it can handle the paperwork, and if you have the rental option, you can get a temporary vehicle at the facility. Your GEICO adjustor keeps you informed of progress, and the work is guaranteed for the entire time you own your car. ARX facilities are not available in all areas. When filing a claim, you may be able to find an ARX location through the claims portal or a GEICO agent can tell you if any are in your location. Of course, you can always use your own trusted repair shop.
GEICO’s mobile app is excellent. It has clear and understandable menus appropriate to the small screen of a smartphone. It also has a voice-activated virtual assistant, Lily, who can help schedule appointments with your agent, view your claim information, answer questions about your policy or tell you what she thinks of the gecko, the company’s mascot. The app also stores your ID cards and proof of insurance and has an interactive accident guide in the event you’re involved in a collision. The app is available for Android or iPhones plus tablets.
When it comes to automobile insurance, GEICO is the best. Not only does it have low premiums and 15 discount options, but it has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings we found. You can speak to an agent online or in person and file claims through the website or mobile device. The mobile app is among the best we’ve found for insurance agencies. Overall, GEICO does an excellent job with car insurance and should be on your list of providers to consider when pricing plans.
If you own a television or radio, use the Internet, subscribe to a newspaper or magazine, or go to the movies, you’ve probably seen a GEICO advertisement. GEICO spends $2 billion on a year on advertising, and it pays off – you’ve heard of them. You may not have heard of The Hartford, an insurance company based in Simsbury, Connecticut. But just because you haven’t heard of The Hartford doesn’t mean they aren’t the best choice for your car insurance. Not sure? Read on for some quick information about both companies, and then compare auto insurance rates to see which is the best insurer for you.
Why Compare The Hartford and GEICO?
You may be unfamiliar with The Hartford, but chances are you’ve been exposed to GEICO’s advertising for the better part of the last decade, sometimes against your will. But an enormous advertising budget is only indicative of a company’s ability to spend money on advertising – it doesn’t speak to the quality of the product or to its compatibility with your needs. Any insurance company that’s been around as long as GEICO or the Hartford (78 and 204 years, respectively) is obviously doing something right, but they also have their set business models and ways of doing business, which may or may not be what you need.
About GEICO Auto Insurance
In 1936, a couple in Texas decided to sell insurance to carefully curated groups. Their initial target demographic was people who worked for the government, which was reflected in their name – Government Employees Insurance Company. Obviously, they have expanded their net somewhat in the last almost eighty years. GEICO is now one of the largest insurers in the country, with over 11 million policyholders nationwide, and is also one of the most immediately recognizable. Learn more about GEICO auto insurance.
GEICO is a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway and is publicly traded. As a result of this business structure, GEICO has to keep the desires of its shareholders in mind, as well as the desires of you, its policyholders. The interests of the two almost always overlap, and GEICO’s policyholders are generally pleased with their product and service. According to Insure.com, 75% of GEICO customers would recommend them to a friend, and 92% plan to renew their policy when it expires.
In addition to the standard policies, GEICO offers accident forgiveness – that is, your rates don’t go up after your first accident. They also have a mobile app that allows you to manage your policy from your smartphone.
GEICO Auto Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy. You can get a discount for holding multiple types of policy (car and motorcycle, for example) with GEICO.
- Multi-vehicle. Same idea as multi-policy, but with different cars. If you’ve got a commuter car and a for-fun car, insure both with GEICO and get a discount.
- Academic Achievement: if you’re a student who consistently meets academic standards set by the company, you’re eligible for a discount.
- Defensive Driver/Safe Driving: Have you taken a defensive driving course? Do you have a clean record? That makes you a safer driver; you get a discount for that.
About The Hartford Auto Insurance
In 1810, a group of entrepreneurs gathered in an inn in Hartford, Connecticut, and formed a fire insurance company. They didn’t form an auto insurance company back then because there weren’t any cars around to insure. In the last two hundred years, The Hartford has grown into a Fortune 500 company with an impressive pedigree. In addition to providing property and casualty insurance with over 150 million annual customer interactions, The Hartford also has divisions for group benefits and mutual funds.
The Hartford is traded publicly on the New York Stock Exchange. Since its products include more than just auto insurance, it makes sense that their stockholders care about more than just auto insurance. They are a large company with many interests and investments, but their business ethics are above reproach – from 2008 to 2012, and again in 2014, The Hartford was honored as one of the Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies. (We have no idea what happened in 2013.) The Hartford’s customers are consistently pleased with their product; 76% would recommend them to a friend, and 91% will renew their policy, according to insure.com.
In the mid-1980s, The Hartford won a contract with the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) to provide home and auto insurance for their members. That arrangement is still in place today. The Hartford insures your day-to-day vehicle, as well as your other vehicles – motorcycles, antique cars, boats, RVs, to name a few. Their array of coverage options includes usage-based rates; new car replacement if the car is damaged within a 15 months or 15,000 miles; lifetime repair assurance with any one of their approved repair shops; and vanishing deductible as long as you have no accidents or moving violations.
Discounts with The Hartford Auto Insurance
- Multi-policy: holding more that one plan with The Hartford may lower your rates on all of them.
- Academic Achievement: if you’re a good college student, you may pay less for insurance.
- Defensive Driver: folks who educate themselves on driving well usually have fewer accidents, and they may have lower prices.
- Passive restraint/air bag discount: you may be eligible for a discount if you drive a car with factory airbags, for example.
Which Auto Insurance Works for You?
GEICO and The Hartford are two distinct companies, and each has its own series of pros and cons. At the end of the day, the best insurance for you may not be the first policy you look at, or from the company you recognize most immediately. Insuring with a larger company, like GEICO or The Hartford, has its perks – you have the benefit of collective experience, for example – but it might not be the best route for you.
Geico’s cancellation policy
Canceling by mail
Canceling your policy by mail takes time. Send your letter at least 30 days before your new policy’s start date. To cancel your car insurance by mail, narrow down the mailing address for your specific state by first visiting Geico online.
- Click Contact Us in Geico’s site footer.
- In the Other Contacts box, click By Mail.
- Select Auto Insurance from the drop-down menu, and then select the state in which your policy is written.
- You’ll see three addresses, including one for Correspondence. This is the address you’ll send your cancellation letter to.
Can a family member or friend cancel my insurance for me?
No. Because car insurance is a legal contract that you sign when you apply, only you can cancel your policy. An exception is a person who’s designated as your power of attorney — this person can cancel your policy, but Geico will require proof of POA.
What is the best way to cancel Geico insurance?
Calling and speaking to a Geico representative is the fastest way to cancel your policy. Canceling by mail will take longer. If you’re in a hurry, call Geico at 800-841-1587. But if you have time and prefer a paper trail, you can mail in your request to cancel your policy.
Can I cancel at any time?
Yes. It is your right to can cancel your policy at any time. But don’t just stop paying your insurance premium. You must notify Geico that you want to cancel your policy.
Do I need to have a new policy in place before canceling my policy with Geico?
No, Geico doesn’t require you to prove that you’ve picked up a new policy before canceling coverage with them.
Keep in mind that driving without at least the minimum auto insurance is illegal. Make sure that you understand your state’s requirements for car insurance. Some require that you carry insurance on a vehicle until you turn in your license plate, and Geico will likely notify your state directly of the cancellation date of your insurance.
What should I consider before canceling my policy with Geico?
- Does your state require proof of new insurance? It is illegal to drive without car insurance, so make sure there is no lapse in your coverage by having new car insurance in place before canceling your current policy.
- When is the best time to cancel or switch providers? Life changes like getting married, buying a house or having a baby might be good times to shop around for a new policy. Experts also recommend shopping around for a new policy once a year.
- How much time do I need to switch policies? If you’re cancelling by phone, cancellation is usually effective immediately. But if you are mailing in a written request, give yourself enough time for Geico to receive and process your letter.
Should I cancel or adjust my policy?
If you’ve had a bad experience and are no longer happy with your provider, cancelling outright might be the best option for you. Or if you are looking to save money, you might be offered new customer discounts at another provider.
However, there are benefits to staying with your provider and adjusting your policy. Geico offers discounts that might bring your premium down. Log into your account online and select Discounts & Special Offers from the menu to see what you might qualify for. Or call your agent to see what discounts can be applied to your policy.
Our GEICO Review
Geico offers homeowners insurance, but it doesn’t actually underwrite its policies. Instead, the company serves as a middle-man: It partners with major homeowners insurance companies and pairs you with one of them when you request a quote. This means that the specifics of your policy will vary depending on the provider you’re matched with.
While Geico does provide solid tools and coverage options, it doesn’t offer many of the discounts commonly found among top providers. It also didn’t impress us when it came to customer service, though your exact experience may vary depending on which affiliate partner is underwriting your policy. If you have an existing contract with Geico, it’s definitely worth requesting a quote for its homeowners insurance. Otherwise, Geico’s lack of unique discounts and average customer service left us feeling lukewarm.
Geico is known for its famous auto insurance tagline, in which it claims, “15 minutes can save you 15 percent or more on car insurance.” The company relies on this name recognition to sell its homeowners insurance, promising that “with the many discounts available, you’re likely to save even more on a home insurance policy.”
Is it True?
Compared to top providers in the industry, Geico’s homeowners insurance discounts are subpar. It only offers three discounts in total, while competitors like Allstate offer up to eleven. Bundling home and auto is one of the few ways to save on your homeowners policy, an option that will be appealing to current Geico customers. If you need to make a claim that affects both your auto and home policies, Geico will even let you combine your deductible in some circumstances. Geico also offers discounts for safety and preventative measures like fire alarms and sprinklers, plus a discount for installing a home security system.
On the flip side, remaining claim-free won’t earn you any discounts, and a newly constructed or newly renovated home won’t lower your rates either. If these types of common discounts apply to you, it’s a good idea to compare your Geico quote against insurance providers who do offer them — like Amica or Allstate.
Geico partners with other home insurance providers instead of offering its own policies, and you don’t get a choice of which organization you’ll be matched with. Instead, you’ll be directed to one of the companies that Geico has partnered with in your area. All payments, claims, and policy specifics will go through that underwriter.
As a result of this arrangement, Geico isn’t scored on its customer service. Neither Consumer Reports nor J.D. Power can offer insight into Geico’s homeowners service, because Geico isn’t doing the actual servicing. Once you’re paired with an underwriter, you can check to see whether that company received ratings, and you can use these to gauge what your claim filing and reimbursement process might be like. But the upshot is that it’s difficult to make solid claims about homeowners insurance from Geico: Your experience will vary greatly depending on who underwrites your policy.
The potential upside? Geico essentially functions like an insurance agent. After filling out your information, it partners you with the underwriter that it thinks best matches your profile.
Geico as a whole has received extremely high financial strength ratings from several organizations, including an A++ from A.M. Best, a Aa1 from Moody’s, and an AA+ from S&P. This is good news if you have an auto insurance policy with them. But since they don’t underwrite their homeowners insurance policies, it means that, once again, you should be prepared to look into the financial stability of the company doing your underwriting.
Geico’s Policy Details and Underwriters
We took a close look at the policies and discounts that Geico offers, but because your underwriter will be handling most of these details, there’s not much info to be found. So we also took a look at several of the large affiliate companies that Geico may partner you with.
- Geico’s Discounts: Geico offer just three discounts for its homeowners insurance policies. Insuring your car with Geico will qualify you for the multi-policy discount. Installing a home security system is another discount, and safety features like smoke alarms or fire extinguishes is a simple third.
- Geico’s Auto Insurance: Geico’s biggest appeal is the opportunity to bundle your homeowners policy with its well-reviewed auto insurance. It has more discounts than any other auto insurer and high customer satisfaction ratings. Its “15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance” claim isn’t far from the truth.
- Homesite as an underwriter: In addition to standard safety discounts, Homesite offers opportunities to save if you’re retired, buying a home, installing a new roof, and if your home is newly constructed. Unfortunately, it ranked second-to-last (of about 30 companies) in customer service from J.D. Power. This means the customers feel its performance is below average in metrics like price, interaction, and claims handling.
- Liberty Mutual as an underwriter: Uniquely, Liberty Mutual offers an Inflation Protection endorsement that adjusts your coverage limits to account for inflation. The company rates fairly average when it comes to customer service and earned a 3/5 from J.D. Power. Its discount selection will appeal to those who rarely file claims, as you can save for remaining claim free for three years and if you didn’t file a claim with your previous provider.
- Travelers as an underwriter: If you’ve got a LEED-certified “green” home, you can save five percent with Travelers. These homes will have eco-friendly community resources like public transit and trails, as well as sustainable construction and utilities. Customers are fairly happy with its customer service, and it received a 3/5 from J.D. Power.
- Farmers as an underwriter: Farmers is another middle-of-the-pack provider who received average scores from consumers. When it comes to financial stability, it’s the only provider that fell below an A- “acceptable” rating from A.M. Best. Its discount selection is pretty bare too, but nonsmokers have an opportunity to save.
What Others Are Saying
Geico’s underwriting partners are expanding.
The Washington Post hosts an article from 1995 when news first broke about GEICO no longer selling homeowners insurance because it, “is too small to manage efficiently, and [GEICO] will concentrate on selling private automobile insurance.” At the time, homeowners accounted for just 6% of the company’s premiums. Since then, GEICO has expanded their underwriting partners from two, to just over 30.
Geico vs. The Competition
Geico vs. Allstate
Allstate offers the largest volume of discounts (11), and a library of unmatched resources. It’s a great option for first-time home buyers looking to educate themselves, with articles, infographics, and interactive tools that assess your regions risks and common claims.
Geico vs. Progressive
Like GEICO, Progressive partners with other companies to underwrite their homeowners insurance. Options for discounts and coverage will vary by state as a result. They’ve earned an average customer service reputation and offer unique coverage that extends to watercrafts.
Geico vs. Amica
Known for their customer service, Amica consistently ranks among the top carriers. With the highest scores from both J.D. Power and Consumer Reports, you’re more likely to be satisfied with claim handling and reimbursement. Plus, they offer nearly as many discounts as Allstate.
Ways to Lower Your Premium
There’s no way around purchasing homeowners insurance, but there are ways to keep costs down. The best way to get a deal on your insurance is to shop around for quotes. In our review of the best cheap homeowners insurance, we also found some simple steps that can lower your price no matter your provider.
- Raise your deductible to pay a lower premium. Even just raising the deductible to $1,000 can save you 25 percent on your premium. Consider this option carefully, though. It’s a bad idea to raise your deductible to a price you know you won’t be able to afford when disaster strikes.
- Optimize your chance to qualify for discounts. This can mean installing extra safety measures like smoke alarms and deadbolts, bundling your insurance policies, or eliminating liability concerns like swimming pools or trampolines.
- Take care of your credit score. Many providers will use your credit score to decide what you’ll pay with the assumption that customers with higher scores are more unlikely to file a claim.
The Bottom Line — Geico Homeowners Insurance Review
Geico homeowners insurance is best for customers with an existing Geico policy. We encourage Geico’s auto customers to pull a quote and consider the convenience of consolidated service. But we’d otherwise recommend sticking to more direct options. If you do choose Gieco, be prepared to do your own research on the underwriter that Geico pairs you with before signing a contract.
GEICO Insurance is a well-known direct writer of personal insurance products. Millions of Americans have come to recognize the lovable “GEICO Gecko” who is well-known for his humorous antics in television commercials. GEICO spends millions of dollars each year advertising to consumers how they can save money through switching to GEICO. However, you should know that there is much more to this insurance company and what it has to offer customers than its clever and lovable spokesperson.
The company offers a wide range of affordable insurance products and has recently added GEICO mobile and web apps to better service its customers.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) began as an automobile insurer in 1936. The founder, Leo Goodwin, named the company after his targeted customers, government employees and military personnel. The company has grown from its early beginnings serving government and military personnel to service customers from all sects of society with personal insurance products. According to insurance rating service A.M. Best, GEICO is the third largest auto insurer in the United States. The company has over 11 million policyholders and insures more than 17 million vehicles.
The company is headquartered in Chevy Chase, MD and is one of the fastest growing auto insurers in the nation thanks in part to its successful marketing campaigns and its low insurance rates.
The president and CEO is Tony Nicely, who has been an employee of the company for over fifty years. GEICO employs more than 27,000 employees at 12 major operations and other field offices throughout the United States. The company has seven different affiliated companies including GEICO General, GEICO Indemnity and GEICO Casualty and has the capability of providing insurance to customers of varied credit history and driving records.
GEICO is a fully-owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway , headed by one of the United States’ most successful investors, Warren Buffet. GEICO has received a Standard and Poor’s rating of AA+ and a rating of A++ from A.M. Best . GEICO has assets that total over $28 billion.
You can receive a GEICO quote online and bind coverage for the following insurance products:
- Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- ATV Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Co-op Insurance
- RV Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Personal Watercraft Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Mobile Home Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Identity Theft Protection
- Snowmobile Insurance
- Collector Car Insurance
- Overseas Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Identify Theft Protection
GEICO Mobile Application
GEICO provides its policy holders with a mobile application where you can get ID cards check your balance or pay on your insurance premium. The mobile application also has voice recognition capabilities through the GEICO skill for Amazon Alexa. Through the application, you’ll be able to ask Alexa several questions pertaining to your policy after you have said, “Alexa, open GEICO.”
GEICO is a financially stable insurance company that offers a full-line of insurance products. Almost anyone can get an insurance policy through GEICO regardless of credit history or driving record. For those with sterling driving records, good driving discounts are available to reduce your insurance premium . The better your driving record, the cheaper your auto insurance is through GEICO. Customer service is a strength of GEICO. You can access customer service, claims, or make a payment 24/7 through their automated online service or through their toll-free telephone number. If you are a member of the military or a government employee, there are even more discount options available.
Even though you can easily access the GEICO website for quotes, customer service, payments or to make a change to your policy; some people still prefer the personal touch of a local insurance agent.
If you are the type of customer who prefers the personal service you can receive from your local insurance agent, then GEICO’s products are probably not for you. GEICO is a direct insurance writer, meaning they sell directly to the consumer without the use of insurance agents.