Farmers Insurance Review 2018: Complaints, Ratings and Coverage
Farmers reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average for both home and auto insurance
- Fewer customer complaints than the median for auto, home and life insurance products
- Compared to other insurers, Farmers has a lot of options to customize home and auto policies
Farmers auto insurance
Farmers offers standard coverage choices for auto insurance, in addition to several types of optional coverage, including:
- New car replacement: If your new car is totaled in the first two model years or 24,000 miles of ownership, Farmers pays to replace it with a new one.
- Accident forgiveness: One accident is forgiven, meaning your rate won’t go up if you have one, for every three years you drive without an accident.
- Small-claim forgiveness: Your rate stays the same even if a small accident is your fault.
- Incident forgiveness: Don’t sweat that speeding ticket. If nobody files a claim related to the incident, your rate stays the same. Not available in all states.
- Loss of use: When your car is in the shop or totaled after an accident, Farmers reimburses you for a rental, cabs or public transit.
- Extended customized equipment: If you have custom parts installed in your car, such as chrome rims or a new stereo system, this option expands your policy to cover those parts if they’re stolen or damaged.
- Rideshare insurance: Companies such as Uber or Lyft typically provide limited liability insurance for drivers while the app is on, with full coverage that kicks when you accept a ride and have passengers. Farmers rideshare insurance extends your personal auto policy to fill in the gaps, providing coverage between rides, so you’re always covered during your rideshare job.
Farmers home insurance
Like its auto policies, Farmers homeowners insurance starts with the basics and allows customers to add features they want or need.
Farmers Smart Homeowners Policy is an upgraded policy that includes standard homeowners insurance, plus:
- Claim forgiveness, which waives the surcharge if you go six or more years without filing a claim.
- Cosmetic damage coverage, which covers the cost of any reasonable cosmetic fixes when you file a claim for functional damage to your home. (Availability varies by state.)
There are other individual options you can add to any Farmers homeowner policy, if it is available in your state:
- Identity Shield: For $65 or less per year, this feature allows you to add on identity theft coverage, including credit monitoring and assistance replacing identity or travel documents
- Eco-rebuild: Receive up to $25,000 for extra costs to repair, replace or rebuild your home with green materials after you file a claim
- Contents replacement: When an item in your home is damaged or destroyed, you receive reimbursement for the value of a new one
- Trees and shrubs: Pays up to $750 per item if your trees, shrubs, plants or lawn are damaged — for a total of up to 5% of your dwelling coverage
Farmers life insurance
Farmers offers several types of life insurance policies, including term, whole and universal life insurance. All of Farmers’ term life options are convertible to lifelong coverage.
Simple Term Life fast-tracks the application process, allowing you to skip the medical exam and get insured more quickly.
- Coverage starting at: $75,000
- Terms offered: 10, 20, or 30 years
Value Term Life from Farmers comes with a guaranteed death benefit amount, and your premiums won’t increase during the term you sign up for. If you convert to whole life or a longer term, your rates might increase.
- Coverage starting at: $150,000
- Terms offered: 10, 20, or 30 years
Decreasing Term Life is for people who want a policy to cover only a mortgage or other debt. The death benefit decreases to 20% of the original value over time, while premiums remain level.
- Coverage starting at: $25,000 in most states; $50,000 in Texas and California.
- Terms offered: 15, 20, 25 or 30 years.
Other types of insurance from Farmers
In some cases, you may be able to save money by bundling these products with a Farmers homeowners or auto insurance policy.
|Other types of insurance from Farmers|
More about Farmers Insurance
Website: You can connect with an agent, get a quote, report a claim and check on its status, find the number to call for towing and roadside help and more. You’ll find ample resources to help with your claim, as well as a checklist of what to do in an accident.
Mobile app: You can pay your insurance bill, update payment options, get your agent’s contact information, view your policy details, and get access to your digital insurance ID cards when you need proof of insurance.
- Farmers® Family Fund: Farmers® employees have a history of giving their time and money to help support others, including their co-workers in need. The Farmers® Family Fund was designed to respond when employees experience significant and immediate financial hardship caused by an emergency outside of their control. The Fund has been able to provide close to $1,500,000 in grants and positively impact the lives of nearly 700 employees.
- Employee Resource Groups: The foundation of Farmers culture is inclusion. Our culture supports employees in bringing their whole selves to work. Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are groups of employees who join together at Farmers® based on shared characteristics, interests, or life experiences. The nine ERGs created at Farmers are assembled to build strategic relationships internally and externally with key groups and individuals to support business growth outcomes.
- Farmers® Insurance Open: The Farmers® Insurance Open is an opportunity through golf to showcase the Farmers brand. Throughout the tournament, players and fans have the opportunity to engage with the brand. Spectators, which include the general public, and Farmers agents and employees can thank their favorite teacher at the Thank America’s Teachers® bus, learn about the unbelievable but true claims Farmers has covered at the Claim Game, experience the Farmers Social Clubhouse, hear about working at Farmers from one of our recruiting representatives, and take a tour of the Farmers Mobile Claims Center. Farmers Roadside Assistance is also on-site to help attendees with any untimely vehicle issues in the parking lots.
- Caring for the Community: Since Farmers founding, we have a commitment to serve the communities where our customers and employees live, work, and play. We care for the community through Farmers Cares Week, Thank America’s Teachers®, and Suits for Soldiers. Farmers Cares Week is a time to celebrate what makes our organization special and recognize how our employees care for our customers and communities. Inspired by the great work and dedication of teachers, we created the Thank America’s Teachers® initiative. Farmers will donate more than $1 million in our educational grants to our nation’s teachers. Suits for Soldiers is representative of our commitment to veterans. Farmers has donated more than 70,000 pieces of business attire to help active duty military personnel while they transition to the civilian workforce.
- Onsite Perks: Farmers onsite amenities include cafes that are designed according to the preferences of employees. Based on an employee preference survey, the cafes include a grill, salad bar, deli, and made-to-order and on-the-go offerings. Dining, collaboration and relaxation spaces are also available to employees. Additionally, employees have ongoing, multiple opportunities to get involved in fitness activities. These include yoga and other exercise classes, as well as our complimentary gym and locker room facilities at some locations.
- Focus on Learning: The University of Farmers® is an award winning resource for building careers at Farmers® and is available to all employees. The claims training facility has a two-story full-sized mock house that provides participants with hands-on training, video feedback skill-practice rooms, a mock auto bay that can house up to 20 damaged automobiles, and audio visual technology. Farmers also provides tuition assistance for undergraduate or graduate courses at regionally accredited colleges and universities. Tuition assistance also covers specialized designations. Currently, the maximum amount of tuition assistance available per person, per calendar year is $5,250. Farmers will pay 90% of tuition, 100% of books and exams, subject to eligibility requirements.
- Catastrophe Response Team: Formed on Sept. 1, 1996, the Catastrophe Response Team marks 20 years of outstanding response to catastrophes. Developed to more efficiently respond to large claim events after the Northridge earthquake in California in 1994, Catastrophe Response Team members are committed to assisting our customers nationwide whenever and wherever they are needed. Since that time, the Catastrophe Response Team has helped customers who experienced wildfires in California; tornadoes in Joplin, Missouri and Moore, Oklahoma; Hurricanes Katrina, Ike, Rita, Harvey and Irma and hundreds of other events. The team also frequently volunteers while deployed to disasters, giving back to communities in any way they can.
- Props: Props! is Farmers’ official program for honoring the performance of stand-out employees and teams. Recognition is a key driver of employee engagement at Farmers as we know engaged employees are the foundation of our success. Props! is not only a platform, it’s a philosophy for recognizing and rewarding employees. Props! is an interactive and social recognition site allows us to celebrate our employees, earn points to redeem for merchandise, event tickets and travel, and honor Service Anniversaries in different and fun ways.
- Health Screenings: Health and wellness is important at Farmers. The organization offers voluntary annual on site flu shots and biometric screenings to all benefits-eligible employees. The screenings keep employees updated on their blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol levels and body mass index. Employees also get results of a thorough panel C blood analysis. Completing their screening not only can help make employees knowledgeable about their health, but it also earns them $100. One of our Employee Resource Groups, Farmers Fit, provides resources to help employees become smarter about fitness, join challenges and expand their network, all while celebrating their fitness passions.
The Business Issue
Farmers Insurance, the third largest auto and homeowners insurance company in the U.S., wanted togive their agents more intuitive, real-time support so they could service their small business customers’ unique needs faster.
Leveraging BPM technology from Pega, Farmers took control of its small commercial insurance application process by eliminating the factors that slowed down business. They re-created and streamlined the new business cycle.
In just one year, Farmers doubled their market share, and has continued to grow since.
- Quote generation went from 14 days to 14 minutes
- New policy system rolled out in less than 5 months
- 70% increase in umbrella policy sales
- Delighted agents and customers