Corporate auto insurance

What is Commercial Auto Insurance?
Commercial Auto Insurance helps your business cover the financial costs resulting from an auto accident if you or an employee is found at fault. Commercial auto insurance helps pay for damaged property and medical expenses – even in the event of a fatal accident.
Commercial auto insurance will help protect you for example, if:
An employee hits a pedestrian while driving a company truck and the pedestrian requires medical treatment that results in substantial bills.
You accidentally swerve off the road while driving to work and take out a residential mailbox and have to pay for the damage.
An employee driving to work accidentally hits another car and totals it.
Get a commercial auto quote today to learn how easily you can protect your business while on the road.
Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance?
Get commercial auto insurance if your business:
Owns, leases or rents vehicles such as cars and trucks.
Has employees who drive their own vehicles to conduct business.
Has employees who operate company vehicles that are leased, rented or owned.
Choose The Hartford
Unique, Customized Coverages
Every company faces unique risks, and we can customize policies to help meet specific business needs. Our downtime loss, rental reimbursement and towing coverage protects businesses for loss of income, provides rental reimbursement and covers towing expenses, up to policy limits, when a vehicle is damaged as a result of a covered physical damage loss.
Superior Business Auto Insurance Claims
Our experienced claims specialists are ready and able to help expedite a claim anywhere in the U.S. They’re dedicated to getting you back on the road – and back to business – as fast as possible.
How to Save Money on Commercial Auto Insurance
We offer more ways to help you save with additional benefits you can add to your commercial auto insurance policy with The Hartford.
Fleet Owners: Reduce Costs with Risk Engineering
Our Risk Engineering team can provide businesses that own a fleet of vehicles with information on how they can improve safety and avoid accidents. This can include an in-depth analysis of the company’s driver safety records, a review of possible root causes of accidents, and recommendations on strategies to prevent accidents. Plus, our risk engineering team can recommend driver safety programs that could lead to savings on commercial auto coverage.
Our team can also help you introduce your drivers to the techniques of 3-D Driving: Drive Decisively. Drive Defensively. Drive Dependably.
Risk Engineering services may not be available to all customers. Contact a representative from The Hartford to confirm eligibility.
Additional Savings for Fleet Owners
Participate in our FleetAhead program, which uses telematics1 and real-time data to help fleet owners identify risk and prevent accidents, and you may be eligible for additional savings on your commercial auto insurance policy.
We also offer savings to reward customers for making safe choices and for paying in full. Contact your agent or a representative from The Hartford to learn more.
Get Extra Protection at No Additional Cost
The Hartford commercial auto insurance offers extra protection for your business at no additional cost. Get coverage for electronic devices, discounts for insuring hybrid and natural gas vehicles and coverage for leased and loaned vehicles.
Waiver of Subrogation – In the event of an accident caused by a third party, The Hartford will cover the loss and pay the insured within the terms of the endorsement and waives its right to subrogate. In other words The Hartford waives its right to pursue a claim against the third party that caused the accident.
Glass Repair Waiver of Deductible – When a covered vehicle requires glass repair, The Hartford waives the physical damage deductible.
One Deductible for Two – Only one deductible will apply when a single event causes damage to an auto covered by our auto policy and property damage covered by another policy from The Hartford.
Already have Commercial Auto Insurance and want to learn about other business coverages we offer? We have you covered.
Learn More About Business Insurance Coverages from The Hartford
1 Telematics refers to the use of wireless devices and “black box” technologies to transmit vehicle use data, in real time, back to a company. Proof of installation/ activation and use is required; discount applies to liability, medical payments, comprehensive and collision coverages. Proof includes: service agreement/ acknowledgment with telematics provider; user agreement with telematics provider; activation confirmation document/contract with OEM; summary report with telematics information or vehicle diagnostics report based on telematics use.
If you own a vehicle of any kind, you probably know that insurance is required by law. Plans vary widely depending on your vehicle, how you use it and what province you live in.
Auto insurance requirements by province
Car insurance requirements in Canada depend on which province you live in and who you buy your insurance from.
If you live in British Columbia, Saskatchewan or Manitoba, your provincial government requires basic auto insurance that covers injury to yourself and passengers. Additional coverage is available from your insurer.
British Columbia and Manitoba
Purchase ICBC Autoplan insurance in British Columbia and MPI Autopac insurance in Manitoba from your Co-operators Financial Advisor. For more complete coverage, including insurance for theft or damage to your car, ask us about your coverage options.
Ask your local Financial Advisor for SGI insurance in Saskatchewan, which includes basic vehicle damage (with a deductible), personal injury and liability coverage up to $200,000. We also offer extended Third Party Liability coverage, and physical damage coverage at a lower deductible to reduce the amount you would pay if you have a claim.
If you live in Quebec, the provincial public automobile insurance plan covers you for injury or death due to an automobile accident, no matter who is at fault or where in the world the accident happened. However, under the Automobile Insurance Act, you also have to have third-party liability insurance of at least $50,000 for property damage. This protection, available from private insurers such as The Co-operators, covers any property damage caused to another party.
In all other provinces and territories (Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island or the Yukon) all car insurance is available only from private insurance companies like The Co-operators.
Find a Financial Advisor
Get an Auto insurance quote
Learn more about insurance requirements in each province and territory.
What your auto insurance plan must include
While insurance plans vary by province, these are the most common types of insurance you must have before you can use your vehicle. Make sure you check the following when you compare auto insurance quotes:
Liability: If you are in a car accident and are held legally liable for other people’s injuries, or for damage to another person’s vehicle or property, your insurance company will pay up to the total amount listed on your policy. You are responsible for amounts above that limit.
Accident Benefits: This covers medical expenses not covered by a provincial health plan, plus loss of income as the result of an auto accident. In some provinces, you may be entitled to additional benefits if you are someone’s caregiver. Accident Benefits are paid regardless of who was at fault in an accident. Not available in Quebec.
Uninsured Automobile: Protects you and your family if you are injured or killed by a hit-and-run driver or by an uninsured motorist. It also covers damage to your vehicle caused by an identified uninsured driver. Not available in Quebec.
Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD): Available only in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, P.E.I. and Quebec, this covers the cost of loss or damage to your car in an accident for which you were not entirely responsible. To qualify, the other driver has to be identified, insured and found to be at least partially at fault. In some provinces, you can no longer sue another person for damage to your car.
Your insurance company will look at the degree to which you are responsible for the accident and your deductible to determine how much compensation you will receive. You will be paid if you were partly or not at all responsible for the accident. Be sure to review your car insurance policy for specific details, restrictions and exclusions.
Value-added coverage
You may want additional coverage to be sure you’re fully protected in case of an automobile accident, theft or damage. Here are some coverage options to consider:
Collision: You’re covered for the cost of repairs or replacement of your car in the event of a collision where you are partially or totally at fault.
Specified Perils: This covers you for specific perils such as fire, lightning, theft*, windstorm, earthquake, hail, explosion, riot and others.
Comprehensive: With this option, you’re covered for any threat or danger other than collision, including theft*, damage or loss caused by vandalism, projectiles, and falling or flying objects such as stones kicked up by a truck in front of you. The important thing to remember is that this coverage applies to your vehicle only, not you or your passengers.
*Comprehensive and Specified Perils do not insure your car against theft if a member of your household steals your car, or if an employee whose job involved using or maintaining the car steals your vehicle.
All Perils: This is the most complete Loss or Damage coverage available. All Perils combines Collision and Comprehensive coverage and protects against theft by a person who lives in your household or an employee who steals your vehicle.
The most popular combination is Collision and Comprehensive coverage.
Optional coverage with endorsements
For extra protection, add the following to your insurance policy:
Accident Forgiveness: If you have this coverage on your policy, your first accident won’t affect your insurance rates, provided you have been licensed and accident-free for six years. Not available separately in Quebec; already included in provincial coverage plan.
Loss of use: If your car is damaged in an accident, stolen or destroyed, this endorsement covers the costs of temporary transportation such as renting a car or taking a bus. You’ll be covered up to the maximum amount specified in your policy until your car is recovered, repaired or replaced, or your claim is settled.
Legal liability for damage to non-owned automobiles: This endorsement will cover you if you damage a car you don’t own while it was in your care and control, such as a rental car.
Family protection endorsement: Receive additional benefits if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have enough coverage to pay a claim for injury or death. This only applies if the other driver has less insurance coverage than you.
Limited waiver of depreciation: This coverage protects against the loss of value or depreciation of a new car if, as a result of an accident, your car is beyond repair and must be replaced. This coverage is only available during the first two years of a vehicle lease or ownership. You could receive an amount up to the price you paid for the vehicle or the manufacturer’s suggested price. You can only add this endorsement if you have insured your vehicle with Collision and Comprehensive coverage, Collision and Specified Perils coverage or All Perils coverage.
Additional coverage: You can also buy insurance for a stereo or other components installed in your vehicle.
To learn more about car insurance, visit the Insurance Bureau of Canada.